Saturday, April 17, 1999

Issue!

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Standard Remittance Advice
Author: Heywood Jahblomey at KPMG_Sacratomato
Date: 4/7/98 5:15 PM

Michael,

I am trying to track down the record format for standard remittance advices that we will be sending to BottomLine for PAS check printing. We need to give this record layout to the BottomLine folks ASAP so they can modify their system to accept it.

Dave Nealon emailed Jayne Exner at TSS about this issue and she replied that the check output file is generated by a program called dafm365. Unfortunately (according to her) the record format is not yet in the user manual.

Do you have any ideas or contacts that might help us obtain this record layout so we can pass it on to BottomLine. Since they will be conforming to our standard, I would assume that the current PAS default will meet Placer's needs for check printing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Heywood

______________________________ Forward Header __________________________________
Subject: Re: Standard Remittance Advice
Author: Michael H. Johnson at KPMG_Chicago_MC
Date: 4/7/98 9:05 PM

Your contact is Chris Fillio. He wrote the program and knows all about it. Email him, he will reply.

Michael

Subject: Re: Standard Remittance Advice
Author: Heywood Jahblomey at KPMG_Sacratomato
Date: 4/8/98 9:44 AM

Chris,
Michael Johnson mentioned that you would be a good resource for asking questions about the PS standard remittance advice to a third party vendor.
Please see the attached questions.

Thanks,
Heywood

Subject: Re[2]: Standard Remittance Advice
Author: Chris P. Fillio at KPMG_JACKSON_MDOT
Date: 4/8/98 2:45 PM

Normally I would not be allowed to answer this question due to a conflict of interest. However, since my sister no longer works for BottomLine Technologies...(how funny would that be? me sending code to my sister! yech!)

I will try to get this to you by the end of the day but remind me first thing in the a.m. if you don't see it!

cf

Subject: Re[3]: Standard Remittance Advice
Author: Chris P. Fillio at KPMG_JACKSON_MDOT
Date: 4/9/98 9:32 AM

Heywood:

Enclosed is a copy of DAFM365.CBL, which has the formatting for the checks (in working storage). Many of our clients in the past have requested customized versions (Boulder, Sunnyvale). I know Boulder was using the ACOM vendor to do check printing, so I had to create the custom program for them.

Let me know if you need anything else.

cf

ps copied TSS as an FYI for them...

Subject: Re[4]: Standard Remittance Advice
Author: Heywood Jahblomey at KPMG_Sacratomato
Date: 4/9/98 9:38 AM

Chris,

I am surprised that the only way I can provide BottomLine a record layout for PS standard remittance advices is to read through a COBOL program and decipher the working storage code.

Does the process usually work in the reverse order where the third party vendor tells KPMG what format they need data?

Do you know if the standard dafm365 record layout is documented somewhere other than in the code of a program?

Thanks again,
Heywood

Subject: Re[5]: Standard Remittance Advice
Author: Chris P. Fillio at KPMG_JACKSON_MDOT
Date: 4/10/98 2:45 PM

Heywood:

Please select from one of the following responses...

1. When did you get out if school and start working in the real world, yesterday? When I was your age we had to walk to work, barefoot, in the snow, uphill, both ways, 20 miles, just to use a dumb-terminal mainframe with ionized glass vacuum tubes...at which point we had to shovel through a hundred rainforests full of greenbar paper just to figure out the name of the only program (6x10^23 lines) in the system.

2. You have angered the email God with your use of the return receipt, but thanks for playing. You will receive some lovely parting gifts including 'Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco treat'...a year's supply of Turtle Wax...and a copy of our home game for you and your friends to enjoy.

3. STOP RUN.

4. The Bible passage "Ask and you will receive" (John 16:24) does not read "Ask and you will receive everything on a silver platter".

5. 42.

6. Please consult your local partner as to the reference to client relations with 3rd party vendors; I'm sure he/she will give you a satisfactory retort.

7. Curses! I've been foiled again! Yes, yes...it's true. I have been hoarding a secret repository of file layouts, part of my dastardly plan to rule the world! With this information I planned to infiltrate the Hall of Justice, defeat the Superfriends, and establish my army of COBOL minions across the four corners of the earth. If only I had not been so naive as to think I could get away with it--and I would have if it weren't for you meddling kids!

8. All such COBOL layouts can be found on the KPMG website under the URL address:

http://www.us.kweb.com/remittances/layouts/copies/not/requiring/ you/to/read/through/COBOL/program/and/decipher/the/working/ storage/code.html.

you may login via telnet (ID: administrator, Password: NEBUCHADNEZZAR) and upon reaching the UNIX shell command prompt, type the command "OPEN SECRET FILES" to gain read access.

9. The attached zip file contains DAFW365.CPY, which is a copymember I created in a matter of 2 minutes. It details only the working storage variables for the check lines, and is not encumbered with silly COBOL procedural statements. Additionally, the CHECKS.ACM file is a 'hardcopy' (file) depiction of the check printouts. Using these two files you should be able to crosswalk the data with the layout.

regards,
cf

Subject: Issue!
Author: Heywood Jahblomey at KPMG_Sacratomato
Date: 4/13/98 3:18 PM

Rebecca,
Could you please take a minute to look at the progression of emails (included below) between myself and Chris Fillio (MDOT), culminating with the 4/10 message below.

Apparently Chris was insulted with the way that I asked for his help. His response was totally uncalled for, insulting and extremely unprofessional. I would hope that this is not his way of dealing with issues that he believes are "below" him. I would like for you to forward Chris' comments to his partner. I think that it is important for him to know how much time Chris is wasting by transcribing insults to fellow employees.

Please let me know if you have any comments on this matter.

Thanks,
Heywood

Subject: Re: Issue!
Author: Rebecca Wrong at KPMG_Sacratomato
Date: 4/14/98 12:43 PM

This should have been taken off line several messages ago and the latter response from MDOT is not called for. I hope everyone learned a lessen here.

_____________________________ Forward Header __________________________________
Subject: Re[2]: Issue!
Author: Chris P. Fillio at KPMG_JACKSON_MDOT
Date: 4/14/98 5:27 PM

I apologize if anyone was offended by this. I hoped that adding a little levity to a frustrating situation would be a nice change. I guess not everyone has my sense of humor.

Perhaps a more appropriate response would have been:

"I do not know of the standard dafm365 record layout as being documented somewhere other than in the code of a program? To my knowledge, we do not have a single, separate file layout for the checks format being used by DAFM365. As such, myself, present and past developers working with Payment Processing familiarize ourselves with the program itself, which maintains the format in the working storage area."

"While you have the existing documentation (per se--the actual program), I've also taken the time to pull these fields out of the working storage area and put them in a separate copymember (DAFW365.CPY). You may find this easier to read. Additionally, the corresponding hardcopy checks (CHECKS.ACM) is a tangible representation of the check format, which you may find useful as a cross-reference to the copymember."

"My experience with clients has shown that we provide them with our 'baseline' version of Payment Processing. At that point, their requirements may deem the layout as acceptable or needing modification. In the case of the latter, we have developed specialized formats for these clients (e.g. Boulder, Sunnyvale, etc.). When the client opts for a 3rd party vendor, such as BLT or ACOM, we are asked to provide a check format which will work with their check-printing software."

"Regards,
cf"

As far as the extra five minutes in a 12+ hour day...well...

0 Comments: